Arjan Singh Bhullar (born May 13, 1986) is a Canadian mixed martial artist and former freestyle and folkstyle wrestler. He currently competes in the heavyweight division of ONE Championship. He has also competed in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. As a freestyle wrestler, Bhullar has represented Canada at the 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2011 World Championships, at the 2010 Commonwealth Games, at the 2007 Pan American Games and at the 2012 Summer Olympics. In folkstyle, Bhullar is a 2-time NAIA Champion and 1-time freestyle CIS Champion from Canada.
Early life and Folkstyle
Bhullar was born and raised in Vancouver, British Columbia. He started wrestling at a young age. As a collegiate wrestler, he competed for the Simon Fraser Clan at Simon Fraser University, a NAIA university at the time. He had a successful career while wrestling at 285 pounds, placing third in 2007 and becoming champion in 2008 and 2009 at the NAIA Wrestling Championships. He was also named Canada’s Wrestler of the year and NAIA outstanding wrestler in 2009. At the 2009 CIS Championships, Bhullar became the first wrestler to ever win the NAIA and CIS titles in the same year.
Bhullar won a gold medal at the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Arjan represented Canada at the 2012 London Summer Olympics. Giving back to wrestling, Arjan is one of the founding coaches of the University of the Fraser Valley varsity wrestling program. The UFV Cascades compete in the CIS.
For 5 years, Bhullar was a member of the Canadian National Team and was also the National Champion since 2008 to 2012 at 120 kilograms. In 2006, Bhullar placed third at the World University Championships. In 2007, he won a bronze medal at the Pan American Games and competed at the World Championships. He competed again at the World Championships in 2009 and 2010, in the latter year he also won the championship at 120 kg of the Commonwealth Games. In 2012 he became the first Canadian wrestler with South Asian ethnicity to represent the National Team at the Summer Olympics. He ended up placing 13th.
Mixed martial arts career
In August 2014, Bhullar had his first amateur fight as a mixed martial artist. He turned pro in November of that year fighting with the Battlefield Fight League. Over the next few years, Bhullar competed exclusively in his native Canada and remained undefeated with a record of six wins. Arjan won the vacant BFL Heavyweight Title with a victory over Blake Nash on October 17, 2015. He has defended the title twice.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Bhullar’s next fight was against Adam Wieczorek on April 14, 2018 at UFC on Fox 29. After controlling the first round with his wrestling, Bhullar would eventually get caught with an omoplata early in the second round, officially losing the fight via submission at 1:59 of round 2.
On July 3, 2019, it was announced that Bhullar signed a deal with Asia-based MMA promotion ONE Championship, and was expected to make his promotional debut against Mauro Cerilli at ONE Championship: Dawn of Heroes on August 2, 2019. However, Cerilli pulled out of the bout due to staph infection and the fight was cancelled. The fight eventually took place at ONE Championship: Century on October 13, 2019 with Bhullar winning by unanimous decision.
On February 1, 2020, it was announced that Bhullar would be challenging Brandon Vera for the ONE Heavyweight World Championship at ONE Championship: Code of Honor on May 29, 2020, but the duel was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Bhullar professes in Sikhism.
Through his MMA career, Bhullar has developed a friendship with pro wrestler and former WWE champion Jinder Mahal.
Championships and achievements
- United World Wrestling
- 2012 Germany Grand Prix Gold Medalist
- 2012 Pan American Olympic Qualification Tournament Gold Medalist
- 2010 Commonwealth Games Gold Medalist
- 2007 Pan American Games Gold Medalist
- 2006 World University Championships Bronze Medalist
- 2005 World Junior Championships – 5th place
- 2004 Pan American Championships Gold Medalist
- Wrestling Canada Lutte
- 2012 Canadian Olympic Team Member
- 2012 Canadian Senior National Champion
- 2011 Canadian Senior World Team Member
- 2011 Canadian Senior National Champion
- 2010 Canadian Senior World Team Member
- 2010 Canadian Senior National Champion
- 2009 Canadian Senior Wrestler of the Year
- 2009 Canadian Senior World Team Member
- 2009 Canadian Senior National Champion
- 2008 Canadian Senior National Champion
- 2007 Canadian Senior World Team Member
- 2006 Canadian Junior National Champion
- 2006 Canadian Junior World Team Member
- 2005 Canadian Junior National Champion
- 2005 Canadian Junior World Team Member
- National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics
- Canadian Interuniversity Sport
Mixed martial arts
- Battlefield Fight League
- BFL Heavyweight Championship (one time)