Charulatha Mani (conceived 21 January 1981) is an Indian-conceived Australian Carnatic and playback vocalist. She has been performing Carnatic shows starting around 1999. She has additionally sung for motion pictures. Charulatha has showed up in various TV shows and radio projects, in India, and abroad. She has recorded many, CD and DVD collections. Her Isai Payanam TV show, circulated on Jaya TV, manages Ragas in Carnatic and film music and has finished in excess of 80 episodes. She as of late accepted her PhD from the lofty Queensland Conservatorium Griffith University, Brisbane, Australia, on Hybridizing carnatic Music and Early Opera. Charu’s music is known for its faultless adherence to the Karnatik standards. It is additionally known for being fearless and out there. It is this continuous transaction, of originality and the classic, that has turned into the sign of her novel exhibition reasoning and mark style. This fascinating entwine gets from serious areas of strength for her that Karnatik music should embrace development, inclusivity and variety in contemporary society.
Charulatha Mani is a leading Carnatic music vocalist and has a huge fan following in India and abroad. Gifted with a rich, melodious voice, and amazing creativity she has a vast repertoire of compositions of various genres, and this has made her one of the most popular and renowned artistes of today. She initially trained under her mother Smt Hemalatha Mani, Veena artiste, and later trained under vidwans Sri Sandhyavananam Srinivasa Rao, and Calcutta K. S. Krishnamurthy. She regularly performs all over the globe, and has won several prestigious awards including the Yuva Kala Bharati from Bharat Kalachar, the Isai Kurasil from New Delhi and M S Subbulakshmi Endowment Award from Narada Gana Sabha, Chennai, Best Ragam Tanam Pallavi award from Krishna Gana Sabha. She is also an engineer by education. She holds a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering from College of Engineering Guindy, Anna University-Chennai. She gave up a promising career in engineering to pursue her passion in music.
Her Isai Payanam programmes have made her a crowd-puller and the way she instantly connects with her audience and feels their pulse have made her Isai Payanam home videos a must in every music lover’s home. In Isai Payanam she presents ragas in Classical and Film music with examples from Classical and Film genres exuding the melodic feel and the raga’s innate beauty. Her raga segment presentations for Jaya TV started off the Isai Payanam trend which she later carried over to live performances. She holds a master’s degree in music from the University of Madras. Charulatha Mani is also a prominent Cine Playback singer with several super-hits in many south Indian languages to her credit.
- “Kaakka Kaakka” from “Naan Avan Illai”(2008)
- “En Uchi Mandaila” from Vijay’s Vettaikaran (Vijay Antony -2009)
- “Chillax” from Vijay’s Velayudham (Vijay Antony-2011)
- “Theeye Theeye” from Suriya’s Maattrraan (Harris Jayaraj-2012)
She also writes the column “A Raga’s journey” for The Hindu newspaper which is widely read and appreciated.
Charulatha Mani has performed in all major sabhas in Chennai and all over India. She has toured London, Canada, Australia, Singapore, the United States, Sri Lanka, and Europe.
She has been awarded the ‘Woman Achievers Award’ (2009), M.S. Subbulakshmi Endowment Award from Narada Gana Sabha (2008), Yuva Kala Bharathi from Bharat Kalachar in 2005, and Best Young Vocalist awards from Narada Gana Sabha (2003), Sri Parthasarathy Swami Sabha (2003), SAFE (2002), and Ragam Tanam Pallavi Award from Sri Krishna Gana Sabha (2002). Charulatha is the recipient of Scholarships from the Government of India and the Government of Tamil Nadu for performing and advanced learning of music.
Charulatha’s music is frequently featured in radio broadcasts and television appearances. She is currently presenting Isai Cafe on Raj TV, and Isai Payanam on Jaya TV, which presents ragas in Carnatic and Film music.
Charulatha likewise seeks after a profession in Playback singing for films. Charulatha’s film credits incorporate Maattrraan, Velayutham, Oru Koodai Mutham, Veluthu Kattu, Vettaikkaaran,Aaravadhu vanam, Naan Avanillai, Budhivanta, Thanthiran, Kaadalan Kaadali, Nandha, and Thirumannam Ennum Nikkah and ‘Thandhaay’ from Nadigaiyar Thilagam.
- 2018 – Thanthai in Nadigaiyar Thilagam and Sada Nannu in Mahanati, music director: Mickey J Meyer, Produced by Aswani Dutt, Priyanka Dutt and Swapna Dutt
- 2013 – Thirumanam Ennum Nikkah, music director: M Ghibran, produced by Aascar Ravichandran
- 2013 – Chennai Express, music director: Vishal–Shekhar, produced by Red Chillies Entertainment
- 2012 – Chikki Mukki, music director: Gowtham, produced by Senthil Kumar
- 2012 – Maattrraan, music director: Harris Jayaraj, produced by AGS Entertainment
- 2012 – Thalattu Padalgal – Lullabies (Audio CD), Super Audio
- 2011 – Velayutham, music director: Vijay Antony, produced by Aascar Films
- 2011 – Ayudha Porattam, music director: Nandhan Raj, produced by Jai Balaji Movie Makers
- 2011 – Pasakara Nanbargal, music director: Dhina, produced by G.M Balaji
- 2011 – Suttum Vizhi Sudare, music director: Aravind Sriram, produced by Hemalatha T., New Music
- 2010 – Oru Koodai Mutham, music director: Shanthan, produced by Nalla Charan Reddy, Junglee Music
- 2010 – Veluthu Kattu, music director: Bharani, produced by S.A. Chandrasekaran
- 2010 – Sankirtanam – Popular Telugu Kritis (Audio CD), Rhythm Audio
- 2010 – Isai Payanam – Live in UK (MP3 CD), Rhythm Audio
- 2009 – Vettaikkaaran, music director: Vijay Antony, produced by Sun Pictures
- 2009 – Aaravadhu Vanam, music director: Haribabu, produced by Mpg Films International
- 2009 – Kaadalan Kaadali, music director: Nandhan Raj, produced by Jai Balaji Moviemakers
- 2009 – Thanthiran, music director: V.Thasi, produced by Vijayalakshmi Ramamoorthi
- 2008 – Budhivanta, music director: Vijay Antony, produced by SV Rajendra Singh Babu
- 2008 – Manodharma (Audio CD), Saregama
- 2008 – Mooladhara Murthy – Tamil Kritis (DVD), Moser Baer
- 2007 – Naan Avanillai, music director: Vijay Antony, produced by Japak Package Ltd.
- 2007-2009 – Isai Payanam – A Musical Journey with Charulatha Mani (DVD, Volumes 1–10), Giri Trading Agency Pvt Ltd
- 2006 – Hiranmayim – Songs on Devi (Audio CD), Kosmic Music
- 2005 – Ganadarshini (VCD), Carnatica
- 2005 – Madrasil Margazhi (Audio CD), Rajalakshmi Audio
- 2004 – Nostalgia – Golden Classics of Yesteryears (VCD), Maximum Media
- 2004 – Melakartha Ragas – Listen & Learn (Audio CD), Giri Trading Agency Pvt Ltd
- 2004 – Bho Shambho – Songs on Lord Shiva (Audio CD), Giri Trading Agency Pvt Ltd
- 2003 – Thirupaavai – Star dot Star
- 2003 – Mangalyam – Marriage Songs (Audio CD), Giri Trading Agency Pvt Ltd
- 2002 – Krishnam Vande Jagatgurum – Songs on Lord Krishna (Audio CD), Giri Trading Agency Pvt Ltd
- 2001 – Nandha, music director: Yuvan Shankar Raja, produced by Aparajeeth Films